It’s a little later than promised, but I’m back. All my hard work paid off and I completed my Condo Redo. It took four days of 12 to 14 hours of work. I couldn’t be happier with the results. However, I ended up with a terrible pinched nerve in my neck which has knocked me out of commission for the last week or so. I really need to pace myself (LOL). Over the next few days i will be posting the results of what I did. Hope you tune in and find some interesting ideas you can use.
I started with a 398 sq foot studio apartment, nice (small) kitchen and a redone bathroom that needed paint touch up.
A really nice closet area that I still have plans for. The walls were recently painted in a neutral color that I decided to leave and work with. The carpet was in good condition. I had it steamed cleaned and stretched to get rid of a bump. I felt it was worth saving and it was so inexpensive to clean it was worth trying. When done it looked like brand new carpet.
Once this was completed I set to work. I had driven in the day before from New York to Cleveland. It took a total of 10 hrs. The looks I received on I-80 were priceless. My car was so loaded up with my purchases from Goodwill, Salvation Army and the various other bargains I had picked up, forced me to drive with my purse on my lap.
1. The curtain can be pushed aside, making it easy to watch TV (which sits on a swivel table) from the bed
2. The curtain gives a lighter feel to the living room and the bedroom.
Although the majority of things in the apartment are recycled or hand made, I did buy some new things new that I needed
Bookshelves, couch, large wicker trunk for coffee table (xtra storage), refrigerator and a new microwave.
My first project was to divide the room in two. My brother had offered to put these together for me ahead of time, so they were ready to go. This was a huge help. I couldn’t have done it with out hi . Thank you Bill.
The curtain ( bought at Goodwill $2.00) is held up with a suspension rod. The book cases were made of wood. The backs however were cardboard. This would have to be covered. I had bought two 100% silk curtains at Goodwill in New York for $12.00. I decided these would be perfect. Not knowing how to sew, I had to get creative. I turned the curtains up side down. Cut the top off, where the curtain pins go, and put this fabric aside.
I simply put the curtain rod through what was
once the bottom hem and secured the rod to the top of the cabinet with screws provided with rods. At this point the cabinet was laying on the floor, making it easier to work on. I pulled the curtain the length of the cabinet tucking it under the bottom lip. I made sure the fabric was evenly spaced on the top curtain rod and the folds hung straight. Once everything lined up, I used my staple gun to secure the bottom of curtain in place. The cabinet standing looked great. Last step the piece of fabric I set aside gets returned to top of curtain the tension in the rod holds it in place no stapling necessary.
The previous owner left me the bed frame. With the purchase of new bedding I had everything i needed to get started. I had ordered a couch on line that had been delivered in a very large box and was waiting to be put together.
My goal for day 1 was to separate the room into a living area and a bedroom. I also wanted to get the bed ready for dressing. Mission accomplished!
Tomorrow I finish the foundation of the condo redo.
Re-cycle Re-purpose, Reuse and Reap the benefits ….. Nancy